If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you may be wondering if you need to hire an attorney. The answer to that question is not always black and white. In some cases, it is advisable to seek legal representation, while it may be unnecessary in others. In this blog post, learn when to hire a bicycle accident attorney and how to pick the best lawyer for your needs.
Growing Cases of Bicycle Accidents
The number of bikers who commute by bicycle has increased in recent years, as has the number of bicycle accidents. In 2020, there were 325,173 reported cases of bicycle accidents in the United States, a significant increase from the year before. These numbers are only supposed to grow as more people adopt bike riding as a mode of transportation.
There are several reasons for this increase in accidents. First, many cyclists ride on the road instead of on dedicated bike paths. It puts them at high risk of being hit by an oncoming car. Second, many cyclists do not wear helmets, which increases the likelihood of serious injury if they are involved in an accident. Finally, distracted driving is becoming more prevalent, and drivers are often not paying attention to cyclists on the road.
As a result, cyclists need to take precautions to reduce their risk of accident involvement. They should ride on dedicated bike paths whenever possible and always wear a helmet.
Injuries That Can Be Compensated in a Bicycle Accident Case
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation. The compensation amount you will receive depends on the severity of your injuries and the circumstances of your accident. You can recover damages for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
You may also be able to recover punitive damages if the driver who hit you was intoxicated or speeding. Punitive damages are created to punish the driver for their recklessness and deter others from engaging in similar behavior.
When to Hire a Bicycle Injury Lawyer?
When you have been injured in a bike accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical treatment. Once you have been seen by a doctor and have a diagnosis, you can think about whether or not you need to bring on board a bicycle accident attorney.
If your injuries are severe and require ongoing medical care, or you cannot return to work, hiring a lawyer is probably in your best interest. A good lawyer will be able to help you get the compensation you deserve, whether that means negotiating with the insurance company or filing a personal injury lawsuit.
What Is the Timeline of a Bicycle Injury Case?
The timeline of a bicycle injury case will depend on the severity of your injuries and whether or not you decide to hire a lawyer. If you have hired a lawyer, they will handle all paperwork and negotiations with the insurance company.
If you can reach a certain agreement with the insurance company, your case will be settled out of court. This process can take between three and five months to complete. If you cannot reach an agreement, your case will go to trial. A trial can take several months or even years to resolve.
Things to Keep In Mind While Hiring a Bicycle Lawyer
Hiring a bicycle lawyer may seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are six things to keep in mind while hiring a bicycle lawyer.
- Make sure the lawyer you’re considering specializes in bicycle law. Much legal help specializes in different areas of law, so you’ll want to make sure you find one who focuses explicitly on representing cyclists.
- Ask the lawyer how many cases they’ve handled that were similar to yours. It will give you an idea of their experience and whether or not they’re likely to be able to get you the outcome you’re hoping for.
- Inquire about the fees the lawyer charges. While you don’t want to base your decision solely on price, it’s essential to make sure you can afford the lawyer’s services.
- Get an idea of the lawyer’s personality and whether or not you feel comfortable working with them. It is essential because you’ll be sharing intimate details about your case with them, and you need to feel confident that they’re someone you can trust.
- Find out the lawyer’s success rate in cases similar to yours. This will give you an idea of their chances of getting a favorable outcome.
The best way to find a reasonable bicycle accident attorney is to ask for referrals from people you know who have had similar experiences. Once you have a few lawyers in mind, you can start to narrow down your choices by considering things like their experience, fees, and personality.